Healthy Avocado Sushi with Brown Rice
1 cup uncooked short grain brown rice
pinch sea salt
1 to 2 tablespoon(s) brown rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
4 nori sheets
1 avocado, sliced into narrow strips
1/4 red bell pepper, cut into narrow strips
handful alfalfa or clover sprouts
1. Rinse and drain the rice, then add 2 cups water and a bit of sea salt. Bring it to a boil, then simmer for 45 minutes. The rice then needs time to cool. Stir in enough vinegar to make the rice stick to itself.
2. Lay a sheet of nori on your rolling mat. If there are grooves in the nori, these are to show where you should cut your sushi and should be oriented parallel to the direction you’re facing, not perpendicular.
3. Spread some rice out to cover the nori sheet, leaving a space along the back edge to seal the roll. Place a small amount of vegetables along the close edge of the sheet, perpendicular to the direction you are facing.
4. Roll the sheet up and over the row of vegetables. Press back towards you, and also down onto the roll. Make sure you are getting a tight roll but don't squish it. Peel the rolling mat off the front edge, and continue to roll. Press the roll together as you go.
5. Finish by sealing with the strip at the far edge that has no rice. Before cutting into pieces, let your sushi roll sit for a few minutes for the nori to soften from the rice.
Bowls of tamari (or soy sauce), pickled ginger and wasabi are commonly served alongside for dipping.
Source of recipe: To watch a free video of me making this healthy avocado sushi recipe, so that I can show the exact techniques for rolling the perfect sushi roll, go to www.healthyveganrecipes.net/video/avocado-sushi