Healthy Vegan Split Peas Recipe
1 cup yellow split peas
1 piece kombu, optional
3 sunburst zucchini, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 teaspoon olive oil
pinch sea salt
1 teaspoon dill
1 tablespoon chives, chopped (or green onion)
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, optional
sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. Split peas do not need to be soaked before cooking, but if you like to it doesn't hurt to soak them for an hour. Add enough water to cover the peas by 2".
2. Gently boil them with no salt. You can add a bit of kombu to the cooking water while they boil for improved digestibility. Split peas will take about 30 minutes to cook.
3. Add vegetables to a baking dish. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over them, then stir them to coat with hands. Next, sprinkle a pinch salt and mix that over the vegetables as well.
4. At this point, you can put them in the oven until the peas finish cooking and the vegetables soften slightly. If you like your carrots soft, put them in on their own first as they will take longer to cook than the zucchini.
5. Add the dill, chives and nutritional yeast (if using) with the split peas and stir in the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper, and put the whole thing back in the oven for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened to your liking.
Source of recipe: To watch a free video of me making this healthy vegan split peas recipe, so I can show you the exact techniques that will make the perfect recipe, go to http://www.healthyveganrecipes.net/video/split-peas-recipe