1-1/4 cups vital wheat gluten flour
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup chickpeas
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon vegan Worcester sauce
1-1/2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon dried mustard
1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1. In a bowl, combine wheat gluten and nutritional yeast flakes; set aside.
2. In a blender, combine remaining ingredients, then combine into gluten mixture; mix well, then let the wheat gluten mixture rise for a few minutes.
3. Form the wheat gluten mixture into a log. Wrap it in tin foil well.
4. Steam the tin foil wheat gluten log for 45 to 60 minutes.
5. Bake the now steamed wheat gluten log at 350 degrees F for 60 minutes. After an hour, take out the seitan and check it. If the seitan is still too mushy, leave it in the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes. Different oven temperatures vary, so this recipe may take longer in one oven than another.
Source of recipe: I wrote the recipe. It is accompanied by my vegan Reuben sandwich with Russian dressing recipe. Find it at my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/04/vegan-reuben-sandwich-with-russian...