Italian Marinara Sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 small or 1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1 teaspoon salt
10 to 12 cranks freshly ground black pepper
2 - 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
2 dried bay leaves
Optional: 2-3 cups vegan crumbles, thawed
1. Heat oil on a medium flame in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet. Make sure not to overheat, or you will burn the olive oil.
2. Saute onions and garlic until the onions are transparent, about 10 min. Keep the heat on medium (not higher) so you don't burn the garlic.
3. Add carrots, celery, salt, and pepper, and saute until they begin to get soft, 7-10 min.
4. Add tomatoes and bay leaves. Simmer, covered, for about 40 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in crumbles, if using, and let stand until they are heated thought.
5. Remove bay leaves, add any additional salt and pepper, and serve over whole wheat noodles, crostini, ravioli or whatever else you would like.
Source of recipe: Adapted from a recipe in "Everyday Italian" by Giada deLaurentiis