Josh's Vegan Taco Salad
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound vegan burger-substitute crumbles (I use Boca)
1 (1.25-ounce) pack or 1/4 cup taco seasoning
1 (15-ounce) can chili beans
1 head lettuce, chopped
1 large tomato, diced
1 (4-ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
1 (16-ounce) bottle Catalina dressing
1 (8-ounce) bag shredded vegan cheddar or monterrey jack cheese (I use Daiya)
1 (11-ounce) bag corn tortilla chips
1. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, combine olive oil and onion; cook until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the burger-substitute crumbles and taco seasoning; heat thoroughly. Add the chili beans; cook until warm.
3. While the beans are heating, chop up the lettuce and tomato and add to a VERY large bowl. Add the black olives.
4. Remove crumble-bean mixture from heat and allow to cool a bit so the lettuce doesn’t wilt too badly. Then add the mixture to the lettuce. Add the Catalina dressing and cheese; toss to thoroughly mix.
5. You can add the chips to the salad, put the salad over the chips, crumble some over the salad or serve them separately. But if you add them before, they may get mushy before serving.
Source of recipe: This recipe is from my boyfriend. He makes it all the time and the omnivores love it.