Julies Broccoli with Garlic Sauce
5 cups water, divided
1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
1 vegetable stock cube
1 head garlic, minced
1/8 to 1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup sweetener
3 medium heads broccoli, chopped to bite sized pieces
1 tablespoon cornstarch + 2 tablespoons cold water
1. First boil 3 cups water for the rice. Add rice, cover and reduce to a simmer until done, according to package directions. Boil 2 cups water and add the vegetable stock cube.
2. Stir to dissolve, and add the garlic, soy sauce, ginger, red pepper flakes and sweetener. Cook the broccoli over high heat in a large skillet for 2 minutes.
3. Add the garlic mixture. Let this simmer over medium high heat for 7-10 minutes depending on how crisp you like your broccoli.
4. Add the cornstarch mixture and stir to distribute it. Cook for 1-2 minutes more or until it thickens. If you like, you can dissolve more cornstarch in cold water to make it even thicker.
5. Place rice in bowls and top with broccoli and garlic sauce mixture.