Kale with Root Vegetables
1 bunch green or purple kale, chopped into bite size pieces
1 medium parsnip, chopped into bite-size pieces
1 medium turnip, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 medium red potatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1-2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
balsamic vinegar, to taste
1. In a large pot add a small amount of water (1/4-1/2" deep is fine). Bring water to a boil. If you have a steamer place it into the pot at this time.
2. Put the kale, parnip, turnip and potatoes into the pot. Turn down the heat to low boil and cover the pot.
3. In a small skilet, heat olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute until soft. Remove the onion and garlic from the heat when done cooking.
4. In the meantime, keep an eye on the kale and root vegetables. When the kale is thoroughly cooked and the root vegetables are soft but not mushy, turn off the heat. Put the kale and root veggies in a large serving bowl.
5. Add the onions and garlic, balsamic vinegar, and pepper, and toss everything together. Serve warm.
This is especially good served with crusty whole wheat vegan bread or rice or as a side dish. Yum!!! And nutritious too!