Kitchen Sink Cookies (Chocolate chip, cranberry, hemp seed, oatmeal cookies)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 sticks (1 cup) Vegan Buttery sticks or Shortening sticks (I use Earth Balance)
3/4 cup un-bleached granulated sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugan (you can use light if you don't have dark)
2 teaspoons good vanilla extract
1/2 cup chia gel (soak 2 tablespoons chia seeds in 1/2 cup water)
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup dark chocolate chips
2 cups rolled oats
1/4 - 1/2 cup hemp seeds (no shell)
This is a basic cookie recipe. Make sure all ingredients are room temperature, this will ensure a great textured cookie.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sift/whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Cream together shortening, with the sugars until well incorporated. Add chia gel and vanilla. Cream together.
3. Add flour mixture 1/4 cup at a time mixing slowly, only add more when you see no more dry spots. When all the flour is mixed in, scrape down the sides of your bowl and dump in oats, cranberries, hemp seeds, and chocolate chips.
4. Give it a quick mix and drop onto a parchment (not wax!) covered cookie sheet. I like to use the cookie-dough scoops that are 1 tablespoon at a time so everything is even.
5. Bake 12-15 minutes depending on oven and size. The thing about chia gel is that it wont "brown" like it would using eggs. They will look slightly under-done but will be perfect! :) enjoy!
Source of recipe: I adapted a basic chocolate chip/oatmeal cookie to suit our family. It can be changed any way you like, adding different nuts, fruits, chocolates... anything! can also be found on my blog (not vegan) www.caghua.blogspot.com