Lauren's Sweet Red & Yellow Pepper Soup
2 red peppers
2 yellow peppers
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/4 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 teaspoons minced garlic
4 cups vegetable stock
1 1/2 cup peeled, diced, potatoes
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander, basil, or dill
This elegant soup is what my friend Lauren makes when her husband's boss (or anyone else impressive) comes over for dinner because it looks so impressive, and then tastes even great! I like it 'cause she always shares the leftovers with me the next day, and there is no need to veganize it!
1) Wash peppers and cut in half. Under broiler, or on a medium-high heat grill, cook the peppers until charred. Be sure to turn them 15-20 minutes into it. Let them cool, slide the peels, off, de-stem, and core them.
2) In a non-stick sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat, and cook the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic until soft (about 8 minutes), stirring occasionally.
3) Stir in the stock and potatoes, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
4) In a food processor, puree the red peppers until smooth. Add half of the soup mixture and process until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl.
5) Clean processor.
6) Puree the yellow peppers til smooth. Add the remaining soup and purée again. Transfer to a serving bowl.
7) Season with salt and pepper.
8) When serving, gently ladle yellow and red soups into opposite sides of the soup bowl at the same time. They will stay separate from each other. Garnish with your fresh herb of choice, my friend Lauren really likes dill.
Viola! I don't know how many this serves since I'm always eating the leftovers though, I would say 6 people.