Lemon Coconut Scones
1/2 cup nondairy milk mixed + 1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup sugar + 2 tablespoons
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
3 tablespoons chilled vegan butter (I use Earth Balance, or omit cream cheese and use 3 more tablespoons)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cookie sheets with parchment. Mix nondairy milk and lemon juice. Whisk together flours, oats, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Using pastry blender or a fork, cut in the cream cheese and vegan butter.
2. Add oil and toss to coat. Add lemon zest and coconut. Toss. Add vanilla to lemon juice/milk mixture, and add just enough into the dry ingredients until the dough clumps together.
3. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead just a few times; do not overwork dough!
4. Shape into a circle and cut wedges out, or shape into a rectangle about 1" thick, cut it down the center so that 2 long strips remain, and then cut triangles.
5. Place on prepared cookie sheets. Brush with milk and sprinkle sugar on top before baking. Bake for 20 minutes, or until tops are firm and edges begin to lightly brown. Let cool on rack.