Lemon Drop Cake
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup brown sugar (not packed)
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 drops essential lemon oil
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons rolled oats
3 tablespoons yellow corn meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Oil 8" x 8" baking pan.
2. Mix wet ingredients in a bowl (applesauce, brown sugar, water, vanilla extract, and lemon oil).
3. In a separate, larger bowl, mix dry ingredients together (flour, oats, corn meal, baking powder, and baking soda).
4. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl and mix with a whisk until well blended.
5. Place mixture in baking pan and cook for 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool and then enjoy!
Source of recipe: This recipe came about when I was trying to make some lemon blondies. I had made brownies from this recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Scrum-Diddly-Umptious-Vegan-Brownies-15... at recipezaar, but wanted to make blondies instead. I then had a great idea that I wanted to make them have a hint of lemon. I also wanted to change the texture, and voila--a simple cake was made!*It must be noted that essential oils in excess in cooking can be unsafe and cause health problems. However, I did some research and discovered the amount I use is more than safe!