Mashed Potatoes And Gravy Recipe
4 large potatoes, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup nondairy milk or water (I use rice milk)
1 tablespoon coconut oil, optional
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup red wine
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or kuzu (or flour)
1. Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water for about 20 minutes, until soft. Optionally saute the minced garlic cloves, or bake them whole.
2. Drain the potatoes. You can save some of that water for the gravy if you like. Leave a small amount of water in to mash them with.
3. Mash the potatoes with the garlic, milk, coconut oil and salt. You can use a hand blender or beaters to make the potatoes extra creamy.
4. While the potatoes boil, saute the mushrooms in the oil until they are soft and dark, about 20 minutes. Once they have released and then reabsorbed their own liquid, deglaze the pan with red wine.
5. Add the balsamic vinegar and water, along with a pinch salt to bring the flavors together. Dissolve the arrowroot in a small amount of water. Stir it into your gravy until it is nearly boiling and it thickens.
Source of recipe: To watch a free video of me making this mashed potatoes and gravy recipe, so I can show you the exact techniques that will make the perfect recipe, go to http://www.healthyveganrecipes.net/video/mashed-potatoes-and-gravy-recipe