Microwave Baked Ziti
1 pound dry penne or ziti
12 ounces silken tofu
1 vegan burger or 1/2 cup veggie crumbles
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
squeeze of lemon juice (I eyeball it, but it's probably around 1/2 tsp)
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 large jar vegan pasta sauce (read the labels! Ragu likes to put parmesan in theirs. I use Prego)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. While it's cooking, make the filling. Smash the tofu until it kind of looks like ricotta, then crumble in the burger and add the oregano, basil, and lemon juice.
3. Drain the pasta when it's done, return it to the pot, and coat with a bit of sauce so it doesn't stick together.
4. Pour about half the sauce in a casserole dish, then put half the pasta on top and cover with all the filling. Top that with the rest of the pasta and the sauce. You could also break this up in to more layers if you like.
5. Cover the dish and nuke in the microwave for 4 to 6 minutes.
All done! This is a pretty basic recipe, so feel free to make modifications and post how they turn out. Happy eating!
Source of recipe: After I went vegan, I missed the cheese-laden Italian food my mum usually dished out, so I came up with a vegan equivalent.