Mixed Bean and Lentil Curry
2 440g/16oz cans chopped tomato
2 440g/16oz cans brown lentils
2 440g/16oz cans borlotti or pinto beans
2 440g/16oz cans red kidney beans
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 large brown onion, peeled and quartered
1 medium carrot
1 medium zucchini
Gourmet curry paste, hot or mild
5 cardamom pods
2 cans water
1 tablespoon canola oil
1. Drain and rinse the lentils and beans.
2. In a food processor or blender, put garlic, onion, carrot, zucchini and one can of tomatoes. Whiz until pureed. If you don't have a food processor/blender, mince the garlic and very finely grate the onion, carrot and zucchini.
3. Heat the canola oil in a large wok or saucepan. Add 1-3 tablespoons of curry paste according to your taste, and fry for about a minute.
4. Add the beans and lentils, and stir to coat with the curry paste.
5. Add in the tomato and vegetable puree (or the finely grated veg) and the second can of tomatoes. Stir well.
6. Pour in two cans of hot water, add the cardamom pods, stir, and leave to simmer until the curry is thickened to your taste.
Serve with basmati rice or vegan flatbread.