Mock "Indian Butter Chicken" Curry
1 tablespoon unrefined palm oil
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced fine (about 1 medium)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 bay leaf
100 grams concentrated coconut cream
1 can diced tomatoes, drain and reserve juice
1 (330 gram) box tomato frito (I use Heinz brand)
1 can coconut milk (Do not shake); separated
1/4 cup white cashew butter
1 cup prepared seitan, cut in pieces
1. In wok, heat oil; add onion and fry until soft and translucent.
2. Stir in lemon juice, cumin, salt, garlic powder, ground ginger, chili powder, and bay leaf. Add coconut cream, and then stir in reserved juice from diced tomatoes; stir to break up and thin out coconut cream. Stir in diced tomatoes and Heinz Tomato Frito sauce.
3. From the can of coconut milk - first add all of the thick creamy part that has gathered at the top. Then stir together the remaining contents in the can and add 1/3 cup of it to the curry. Stir well.
4. Stir in the cashew butter and mix well.
5. Add the prepared seitan and heat through. Serve with Indian naan bread, warmed pitas or roti bread.
There is a real nice recipe for Cornmeal and Poppyseed Roti from Isa's book Veganomicon (www.theppk.com). If you have that book - I recommend that recipe!