Nana's Pâté Chinois (Shepherd's Pie)
3 large or 4 medium potatoes, peeled
1 (12-ounce) package vegan meat crumbles, thawed and crumbled (I use Yves Original Veggie Ground Round)
1-1/2 teaspoons vegan poultry seasoning, or to taste
1 (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
1/3 cup nondairy milk, or to taste
1 tablespoon vegan margarine, or to taste (e.g., Earth Balance)
1/4 cup vegan cheddar cheese (optional; e.g., Daiya Cheddar)
1. Place potatoes in a pot; add water to cover potatoes by one inch. Bring to a boil; boil 25 to 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and ready to mash.
2. Drain the water from potatoes, then mash with fork or potato masher. Add the nondairy milk and margarine; mix thoroughly.
3. In a frying pan, add the vegan meat crumbles and poultry seasoning; sauté 5 minutes, or until the crumbles are warm and slightly more brown.
4. Evenly spread the crumbles in a 9" x 9" baking pan. Layer with corn, then layer with mashed potatoes (do not mix). Sprinkle with vegan cheese.
5. Bake on the middle rack of an oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes, or until mashed potatoes turn a bit golden.
Enjoy! Bon Appetite. Just the way Nana used to make it. :)
Source of recipe: My Nana made this for my father growing up, then he passed it down to my brother and I. The original version is not vegan, but it was quite easy to substitute.