No Onion, Soy, or Gluten Yummy Curried Squash
1 butternut squash, cut in quarters and seeds removed
1 large yam, quartered, with skin
coconut oil, as needed
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons garam masala powder
2 (scant) cups water
2 bay leaves
1 cup water + 1 tablespoon light miso (I used chickpea/brown rice miso)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/3-1/2 cup coconut cream
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat the squash and yam with coconut oil and bake in a large pan or cookie sheet until fork tender (approximately 1 hour).
2. Remove and allow to cool until you can handle them. Heat 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil in a large, deep pan. Add garlic and sauté until lightly golden brown. Add garam masala and toast until fragrant.
3. Add 2 cups water and the bay leaves. Allow to simmer with the lid for 10 minutes. While broth is simmering, roughly chunk the yam and squash (making sure to remove the skin of the squash first). Add to the pan.
4. Whisk miso and 1 cup water and add to pan. Allow to simmer, with lid, another 15 minutes. Add peas, chickpeas, and simmer lid on until peas are cooked through and warm.
5. Remove lid and simmer to evaporate any extra water, then add coconut cream and stir. Should be thick, creamy and highly coconutty!
Serve over cooked brown basmati, and share with many lovely people.