Onion Soup Gratinéed with Cream-Truffle Mashed Potatoes
5 medium onions
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup white wine
2 bay leafs
1 teaspoon flour
4 medium size potatoes
3 tablespoon vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
1/4 cup soymilk
3 teaspoons truffle oil
Salt and pepper
1) Boil potatoes in a sauce pan, no need to cut or peel potatoes at this point, this keeps them from absorbing a lot of liquid making a much better mashed potato.
2) In a medium sized sauce pan, melt vegan butter and olive oil over medium heat. Incorporate onions coarsely chopped, cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep sauce pan covered with a lid so liquid does not evaporate.
3) Remove lid, stir frequently and allow onions to caramelize, 20 minutes or so, stirring frequently keeps onions from sticking to bottom of saucepan. You should start seeing a nice golden crust starting to form at the bottom of the saucepan and the onions starting to turn a beautiful golden color.
4) Incorporate thyme, garlic and flour; cook for another minute or so.
5) Add white wine and deglaze, scrapping up bottom of pan. When wine has reduced by half, add vegetable broth and bay leafs. Let simmer covered over low heat for 10 to 20 minutes until liquid has reduced to a nice thick consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste. At this point your potatoes should be ready.
6) Take potatoes off burner, strain and let cool. Once cooled, remove skin, incorporate vegan butter and soymilk and whip until texture is creamy and fluffy, add truffle oil, salt and pepper to taste. Stuff mixture into a chef’s piping bag. If you do not have a piping bag, you can use a plastic bag with a hole pierced in the corner.
7) Remove soup from burner and pour into medium sized onion soup bowls. Pipe mashed potatoes on top of soup, gently squeezing in a circular motion. Return to oven and broil until potatoes are golden brown on top, about 15 minutes.
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe