Pasta Primavera (Linguini)
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup olive oil
3 medium to large tomatoes - chopped coarsely
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon finely chopped Italian parsley
1/2 cup minced fresh basil
1 1/2 teaspoon ( or more!!) finely chopped fresh garlic
salt and pepper
2 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite size pieces
2 cups chopped fresh green beans
6 asparagus stalks, peeled and sliced into bite sized bits
6 tablespoons margarine
1 cup frozen baby peas
1/4 cup veggie broth
2/3 cup *vegan heavy cream (see recipe below)
1 lb linguini
*To make vegan heavy cream substitute you will need: 1/2 block of silken tofu (extra firm) and 1/2 cup of plain soy milk. Blend in blender (do not use mixer) until thick and creamy and there are no more lumps. Set it aside.
1. Preheat oven t0 300. Roast pine nuts in on a cookie sheet in oven until they are golden. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. In small skillet, heat 2-3 tablespoons (or more if you want) of the olive oil. Add tomatoes, parsley, basil and garlic and cook until tomatoes are soft. Set aside.
3. Bring large pot of water to boil and add broccoli, asparagus and green beans, bring back to boil and blanch for 30 seconds. (It is important NOT to let them overcook..or else). Remove veggies and immediately run them under cool water then dry, to prevent them from continuing to cook.
4. Return water to boil and add salt. Cook pasta according to directions, or ask grandma.
5. Meanwhile, (this is so you don't die of boredom..j/k) heat up large skillet with a bit more olive oil and combine the blanched veggies, and peas and toss over high heat for a very short time.
6. Reheat tomato sauce, drain linguini and return it to pot, pour in 1/2 cup vegan heavy cream, 6 tablespoons vegan margarine and stir until melted and mixed. Add veggies, tomato/basil mixture and pine nuts..toss it around, plop it on a plate and then chow down.
Try it with some of my not so famous garlic vegan bread:
1 loaf vegan french bread sliced down middle1 1/2 stick vegan margarine2-3 large cloves of garlic (super finely chopped)4 or 5 shakes of Italian seasoning mix
In small saucepan, melt margarine and add garlic and seasoning. Mix around then pour mixture into a glass cup, cover with plastic wrap and put into the fridge. After the margarine mixture becomes solid, mix it around with a spoon (garlic settles to bottom) then slice vegan french bread down middle (length wise) and spread thickly and evenly on both sides. Bake in oven and then inhale it with pasta.. its really great.. even when slightly burnt.
And don't forget that anything eaten along side a glass of vegan wine tastes a whole heck of a lot better!!