Perfect Creamy Mac and Cheese
16 ounces pasta noodels (I prefer medium shells)
1/4 cup vegan butter
1/4 cups flour
2 cups nondairy milk (I use soy)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic
1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
1 cup vegan cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
dash paprika, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Boil water for noodles, and cook according to package directions. In a medium sized sauce pan, put the vegan butter over medium heat. Once melted, lower heat and slowly stir in flour. Bring to a creamy texture and raise heat to medium.
2. Stir in milk until the sauce is thick and creamy. Add the spices and give it the taste test. This is the white sauce and the foundation of the mac and cheese.
3. Set 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/2 cup cheddar aside for later. Now use the other 1/2 cups and stir them into the white sauce. Once again, stir until sauce is thick, creamy, and the cheeses are even.
4. Drain the noodles. Pour the sauce over the noodles in a large baking pan. Now, you can do one of two things: take the two 1/2 cups of cheese that were set aside earlier. Mix the two cheeses together and sprinkle across the top of the mac and cheese, or pour 1/2 the mac and cheese into pan, and sprinkle with 1/2 of cheese mixture, then add rest of mac and cheese, and sprinkle rest of cheese (for layers).
5. Dust with paprika. Bake covered for 20 minutes.
Source of recipe: Me and my roommate made up the recipe.