Perfect Veggie Pot Pie
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup white onion, chopped 1/2"
3 cups vegetable broth
1 3/4 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon corn starch + water
2 small potatoes, peeled and cubed 1/2"
1 cup carrots, sliced 1/4"
1/2 cup peas, drained if canned
1/2 cup corn, drained if canned
1/2 cup broccoli florets, chopped small Crust:
3 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup margarine, softened
1/2 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. For filling, saute onions in olive oil until they become translucent. Heat vegetable broth in a medium sized pot until it comes to a boil. Once broth boils, add cumin and lower heat to medium.
2. Mix corn starch with water until smooth, and slowly add to broth until it is to your desired consistency. Add vegetables (including onions) to broth mixture and let sit for 15 minutes. Stir frequently so mixture doesn't scorch.
3. While mixture is cooking on the stove, prepare dough. Mix flour and salt, then slowly fold in softened margarine until it crumbles. Stir in water and mix the dough thoroughly with hands. Once the dough is mixed, divide it in 1/2.
4. Roll out 1/2 the dough fairly thin, large enough to cover the bottom and sides of a 9" pie dish or similar sized casserole dish, and place it in the bottom of the dish. Roll out remaining dough to cover the top of pie. Set aside.
5. Once mixture has been on the stove for 15 minutes, pour it into pie pan or casserole dish. Take rolled out top dough and lay it over the top of the dish. Press together the 2 pieces of dough around the edges with fingers or a fork. Place in the oven for 30 minutes, or until dough is golden brown around the edges.
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe.