Pine Nut and Veg Penne
1 (16 ounce) box whole wheat penne
1 small head broccoli, chopped
1/2 pound fresh green snap beans, trimmed and halved
4-5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
2 (6 ounce) bags pine nuts
1 large red onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 orange or yellow bell pepper, sliced
3-5 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 pinches dried basil
2-3 pinches dried thyme
2-3 pinches crushed red pepper
1 slice whole grain bread, ground to crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 415 degrees F. Cook the pasta according to package directions al dente in large pot of water; set aside. Heat a large skillet on medium heat without oil.
2. Place broccoli and beans on a large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and toss to coat. Once the oven is heated, roast broccoli and beans about 15 minutes, check and toss.
3. Finish it off for another 10-15 minutes until they're all brown and caramelized on the bottom. Toast pine nuts in the dry skillet; keep an eye on it, because they'll burn easily.
4. After they're toasted, add in the onions and cook for a few of minutes until they're caramelized, then add in bell peppers until just softened. Add in the garlic and cook until just caramelized.
5. Add in the other vegetables, spices, salt, and pepper, and stir. Add in the pasta, drizzle with olive oil, and then sprinkle with the bread crumbs for binding (kinda like a parmesan replacement). Toss together, and enjoy!