1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water or nondairy milk Filling:
1 1/2 cups red potatoes, chopped
1 cup cauliflower, chopped
1/4 cup vegan butter
1 tablespoon onion, chopped
1 tablespoon scallion, chopped
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon garlic pepper salt
1/2 cup nondairy milk
1/2 cup coconut oil
1. For dough, mix cornmeal, flour, vegan sugar, salt and water together with your hands until it sticks and can be formed into a ball. Set aside. For filling, boil potatoes until they are almost cooked (not quite soft enough), and then add the cauliflower, and cook until soft; drain.
2. Melt butter in a sauce pan, add onions, scallions and spices and cook until vegetables are clear. Mix into potato/cauliflower and start to mash. Add milk, mash a bit more, leave some chunks in there.
3. Take ball of dough and roll out flat to be about 1/8" thick. Cut out 3" size squares or circles. Fill each circle with about 1 tablespoon mashed veggies, and fold to form a half moon shape. Seal and press edges down with a fork (makes nice looking little lines).
4. Heat coconut oil in a pot until its boiling and splatters when a drop of water is thrown in. Drop each puffy in (I cook 4 at a time) on its side and cook until crunchy and brown, flip over. Shouldnt take more than 2 or 3 minutes for each side.
5. Drain off excess oil on a paper towel, and eat! Serve with (veggie) sour cream or tomato sauce. I like to eat them with vegan sour cream and spicy tamarind sauce too.
You can add more vegetables to this. It's very good with mashed potatoes and peas and cabbage, or just cabbage alone. Squash would probably be pretty killer too, or sweet potato. Whatever you do, do not fry in a canola oil, it gives it a soggy, icky flavor.