Potato Soup of the Gods
2 tablespoons vegan margarine (I prefer Earth Balance)
1 yellow onion, diced
3 carrots, diced (don't have to be peeled)
5 celery stalks, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 - 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 vegan bullion cube
"buttered" whole wheat toast, cut into 1/2 inch squares
1. Melt vegan margarine in a large pot over medium/medium high heat.
2. Saute the onion, carrots, and celery in the margarine until veggies are soft and browned (caramelizing them makes the soup have a deeper, richer flavor).
3. Add the salt, pepper, potatoes, and bullion cube. Add enough water to cover the potatoes.
4. Simmer until potatoes are soft (there's no need to cover the pot).
5. Mash the soup with a potato masher, leaving some chunks.
6. Top each serving with toasted, buttered bread cubes.
- either blend soup completely (or not at all)
- add 1 cup of plain (preferably unsweetened) soy milk after blending
- serve topped with fresh chives and sour cream
- add a few tablespoons of fresh chopped dill with the potatoes
- use a finely sliced leek instead of onion
- drop spoonfuls of vegan biscuit batter onto the soup before serving; cover pot and steam the dumplings for about 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- top with sauted, crumbled tempeh bacon and shredded soy cheese