Raw Massaged Kale Salad with Avocado and Mango
2 pounds fresh kale (about 2 large bunches)
2 Tbsp course sea salt
1 Tablespoon lime juice, or the juice of about one half of a fresh lime
2 mangos, chopped
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon freshly ground garlic pepper
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup raw cashews, halved or pieces
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
1/2 teaspoon cumin, or to taste (optional)
1. Wash the kale well, and drain.
2. [optional] Separate the kale leaves from the stalks. While some people like the stalks (including yours truly), many find them too tough or bitter. If you don't want to include them in the salad, you can set them aside to snack on later (great eaten like crunchy carrot sticks with hummus or salsa), to blend into a green smoothie, to share with some guinea pig or rabbit friends, or to add to the compost.
3. Place the kale in a large mixing bowl and rip to shreds. While you're ripping, add the sea salt, lime juice, and one of the avocadoes.
4. This is when your hands get messy! Massage the kale firmly until it begins to wilt (a couple of minutes).
5. Add the mangos, garlic, cranberries, nuts, half of the second avocado, and any spices you like. Toss to combine.
6. Slice the remaining avocado half into long slices and lay on top of the salad, and top with another shake or two of garlic pepper. Serve immediately.
This will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days, but it is best within the first 24 hours.
Variation: Try substituting walnuts and/or almond slivers for the cashews.
Source of this recipe: This is a raw adaptation of a combination of kale salads from various food blogs, particularly the "Massaged Kale Salad with Mango, Avocado, Cranberries and Toasted Cashews" recipe from Liz Lemon Nights. http://lizlemonnights.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/massaged-kale-salad-with-...