Red Beet Ravioli Stuffed with Tarragon Goat Cheese by Pure Food and Wine
3 cups pine nuts, soaked in water for 1 hour
3/4 cups cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil
2 whole lemons, peeled and quartered
Zest of 2 lemons
1 medium shallot, minced
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
1 clove garlic, minced
Celtic sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
3/4 cups roughly chopped tarragon, cleaned and stemmed
1 to 2 medium beets, peeled and very thinly sliced
1. in a food processor, mix together the pine nuts, the olive oil, the lemons, and the zest for about 8 minutes. Pour half of this mixture into a blender and set the other half aside.
2. Add the yeast and 1 teaspoon of the peppercorns to the mixture in the blender and blend on medium speed for 2 minutes, until thick and smooth. This will be the "goat cheese." Transfer the blended mixture to a bowl and refrigerate, uncovered, for one hour.
3. Take the other half of the mixture that you set aside and place it in the blender. (This will be the sauce that will be placed under the ravioli.)
4. Add the remaining peppercorns to this mixture along with the garlic, shallot, and 3/4 cups of water.
5. Blend on high for 1 minute, until it achieves a smooth, runny consistency, then salt to taste.
6. Once the "goat cheese" from step 2 has completely cooled, fold 1/2 cup of the tarragon into it, then salt to taste.
7. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the cheese onto each of the beet slices, then top these with the remaining beet slices.
8. To serve, pour the sauce from step 5 onto a deep serving platter and place the ravioli on top. Sprinkle with the remaining tarragon, and add salt and pepper to taste.