Reuben Sandwich with Russian Dressing
1 cup sauerkraut, squeezed dry
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
kosher salt, to taste
cracked pepper, to taste [u]Filling Mixture[/u]
salt, to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
1/3 small white onion, sliced
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
vegan margarine, to taste
sliced rye bread
homemade seitan, sliced
vegan monterrey jack cheese, sliced
Russian dressing, to taste
1. Sauerkraut Mixture: In a bowl, combine sauerkraut, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper; set aside.
2. Filling Mixture: Add salt to a skillet and heat. Add olive oil, green pepper, and onion; cook until onion starts to become translucent. Add spinach and mushrooms. Once all ingredients are cooked, set aside.
3. Make Sandwich: Butter each side of the rye bread and toast each side on a skillet. Place three slices of seitan on a slice of bread. Next, put the sauerkraut mixture and then the filling mixture. Lastly, put two slices of monterrey jack cheese. Place another slice of the rye bread on top. Repeat for each sandwich.
4. Microwave the sandwich until the cheese melts.
5. Once melted, take the top slice off and add Russian dressing. Place the top piece of bread back on the sandwich.
Source of recipe: I wrote the recipe. Please see my blog with further details of the recipe: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/04/vegan-reuben-sandwich-with-russian...