Roasted Turnip Risotto
6 ounces turnip greens
1 1/2 cups turnips, cubed and divided into 2 parts
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 to 3 cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
1/2 medium leeks, sliced or chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
1/2 cup arborio rice
1 tablespoon mild miso (white or yellow)
Dash white pepper
1/4 cup walnuts
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss 3/4 cup turnips in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in preheated oven 40 to 45 minutes until brown and tender. Set aside when done.
2) In a large pot of boiling water, blanch the turnip greens until almost tender, about 30 to 45 seconds. Remove from water using tongs and rinse under cold water (or transfer to bowl of ice water to stop from cooking). Set aside.
3) In a saucepan, bring remaining broth to a low boil over medium low heat. On a back burner, keep broth warm over low heat and keep a measuring cup nearby.
4) Melt vegan butter over medium heat in a large skillet (3 to 4” deep) and add leeks. Sauté leeks until soft and translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add both the garlic and thyme and cook an additional 30 seconds until garlic becomes fragrant. Add remaining turnips and arborio rice to skillet and stir well to completely coat with seasonings.
5) Increase heat to medium high and continue to stir rice another 1 minute. When rice begins to sizzle, add 3/4 cup of warm vegetable broth to skillet and stir. Let rice absorb broth and stir occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes. When rice has absorbed all of the liquid, reduce heat to medium and add another 3/4 cup of broth. Stirring occasionally let rice cook another 15 to 20 minutes until it has absorbed most of the liquid.
6) While rice cooks, make the walnut topping. Toast walnuts in a pan over medium high heat until they become fragrant and start to deepen in color. Remove from heat and transfer to food processor with a pinch of salt and nutritional yeast. Blend until finely crumbled. Set aside.
7) Returning to the rice, if mixture is not done yet, add another 1/2 cup of broth and let rice absorb until cooked. Whisk the miso into 1/2 cup of vegetable broth. Add miso and turnips greens to rice mixture and stir well. Season with small pinch of white pepper. Top with roasted turnips and walnut topping.
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe because I love both risotto and winter vegetables. It's such an easy dish to make vegan and it's so creamy and filling! Try this with any other winter vegetable like parsnips or rutabaga and it tastes just as lovely.