Russian Tea Cakes (a.k.a. Mexican Wedding Cookies)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
6 tablespoons + 1/2 cup powdered sugar, divided
1 cup vegan margarine (2 sticks)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a bowl, combine flour, nuts, and 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
2. In a separate bowl, cream the margarine with the vanilla extract. Add to the flour mixture; mix well, then chill the dough for 1 hour or more.
3. Roll into 1-inch balls. Place on a cookie sheet and flatten slightly so that they can be cooked evenly since they do not spread much during the baking process.
4. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the tops are not sticky too touch.
5. While cookies still warm, roll in 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Please use extra care when handling them since they are fragile. Cool completely and roll in powdered vegan sugar again.. ENJOY.... these are truly delicious!!!