Savory French Toast
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon vegan margarine, plus more for frying
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
2 slices nutty seed bread
1-1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes or mini heirloom tomatoes*
Chopped parsley, to garnish
1. In a shallow bowl, mix almond milk, nutritional yeast, margarine, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper.
2. Dip bread in the mixture soaking both sides. You will have left over mixture.
3. Heat margarine in pan over medium heat. Add coated bread and fry for 5 minutes each side, or until the bread is toasty and no longer mushy.
4. While the toast is frying, take a second small pan and cook halved tomatoes in some of the left over dip mixture until the tomatoes are soft and the mix is reduced.
5. Top french toast with cooked tomatoes and garnish with parsley or vegan cheese.
* If you don't like tomatoes you can vary the recipe by topping the savory french toast with garlic mushrooms, wilted spinach or anything you like!
Source of recipe: I wrote this. I love the texture of French Toast but am not crazy about sweets. This was my solution.