1-1/4 cup vital wheat gluten flour
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup of chickpeas
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground fenugreek seed
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon turmeric [u]Broth[/u]:
10 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup soy sauce
1. Seitan: In a bowl, combine wheat gluten and nutritional yeast flakes; set aside.
2. In a blender, combine remaining seitan ingredients; blend until smooth. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in the bowl. Mix well. Let the wheat gluten mixture rise for a few minutes.
3. Broth: In a large pot, combine the vegetable broth and soy sauce. Mix. Do not turn on stove yet.
4. Form the wheat gluten mixture into a log. Cut this log into three equal pieces. Put the seitan into the pot and now turn on the stove to medium heat. Place pot cover on, but allow some room for the steam.
5. Simmer for 2 hours, rotating the seitan occasionally. To store, keep the seitan in the broth mixture and refrigerate.
Source of recipe: I wrote the recipe. The seitan is a part of my vegan gyro sandwich with tzatziki sauce recipe. Find it at my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/04/vegan-gyro-sandwich.html