Gyro spice mix:
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon curry spice powder (I use McCormick mild)
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon allspice Seitan:
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons gyro seasoning (recipe below)
1 cup cold water
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons olive oil Gyros:
4-6 vegan pitas
1 onion, finely sliced, optional
1 tomato, finely sliced, optional
cucumber sauce, to serve, optional
1. To make spice mix, combine all spices. This makes enough spice for several batches of gyros. Store in a tight lidded container between uses. For seitan, place all dry ingredients in a large bowl, and stir with a fork until well mixed.
2. Add in cold water. Stir with fork until well blended. Knead dough about 23-30 squeezes by hand to make sure all ingredients are well incorporated. Let dough rest 10 minutes or so, and knead dough again for another 2-3 minutes to build up elasticity. Prepare steamer or steamer basket.
3. Form dough into loaf type shape, keeping the loaf about 1" thick (will rise while steaming). Tear off tin foil sheet about 12" long. Spray shiny side of foil with cooking spray. Lay seitan loaf in center of foil. Fold tinfoil up around seitan loaf making an envelope type shape (be sure to leave room around loaf to allow dough to expand while steaming).
4. Fold and pinch outside edges of foil together to make a tight seam (middle seam should be overlapping, it is ok if it is not pinched). Steam dough in foil envelope for about 50 minutes. Remove from steamer, and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Unwrap finished seitan loaf, and slice into strips 1/8-1/4" thick. Squeeze lemon juice over seitan slices, and allow to sink in while oil heats in pan.
5. Heat oil in a large pan. Add seitan slices, and fry until slightly browned on all sides, about 3-5 minutes each side. Remove from pan, but keep warm. Heat pitas, one at a time, in hot pan. Place on a plate and spoon gyro "meat" mixture into each pita. If desired, top with favorite cucumber sauce recipe, onions, and tomatoes.
Source of recipe: After quite a few tries with tweaking the spices, I made this recipe.