Shepherds Pie with Gravy
8-10 medium sized red potatoes, chopped
6-8 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon vegan butter, divided (I use Earth Balance spread)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped finely
1 teaspoon sage, divided
1 teaspoon thyme, divided
1 (3 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
1 (12 ounce) package vegan burger crumbles
1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
parsley, to taste
sea salt and black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
3-4 tablespoons flour
2 (11 ounce) cans corn, well drained
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and lightly grease a baking dish. Boil potatoes and garlic for 20 minutes. Saute onions in 1 tablespoon vegan butter. When they are about halfway done, add 1/2 teaspoon sage and thyme.
2. Cook until nearly translucent, then add mushrooms. Cook for about 3 minutes and add the veggie crumbles. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour the broth into a small pan and add remaining thyme and sage, black pepper, parsley, soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar. Bring to almost a boil, then using a wire whisk, add flour.
4. Cook until thick and add to the veggie crumbles mixture, reduce heat to low and boil the mixture down until it becomes dense. Drain the potatoes and garlic, and mash with salt and remaining vegan butter.
5. Layer crumbles mixture, then corn, then potatoes in prepared dish. Sprinkle with parsley and bake for 35-45 minutes, until top is golden brown. Serve and enjoy! (Maybe with a little ketchup?)