Simple Kale Surprise
approximately 2 cups fresh Kale
1/2 large onion
1 large pear
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
dash of cinnamon
1-2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel and slice pear into long, fairly thin strips.
2. Slice onion in similar sized strips.
3. Saute both in a large pan with olive oil on medium heat until soft and slightly caramelized (usually not more than 5 minutes). If pear is already getting pretty ripe, you may want to get the onions going first for a minute or two before adding the pear.
4. Chop kale and add to pan. You might want to add only part of it at first until it cooks down and then add the rest. Use tongs or something similar to turn the kale until it cooks down for about 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and a dash or two of cinnamon. Add apple cider vinegar if desire. May want to add a little more olive oil if desired as well.
5. Keep turning ingredients until mixed.
*The mixture should be warm and cooked, but probably won't need very long to get just the right amount of wilted. Stove top temperatures may vary so constantly turning the kale helps to make sure it does not get overcooked too quickly.
*Also, I used baby kale and a larger variety for this (stems removed) but this would probably be very good with most dark greens.
*Very good as a quick side dish and this recipe can VERY EASILY be doubled or even tripled.
Source of recipe: I had some kale and some pears that needed to be used.