added this 2 years ago
What you need:
1 cup masoor dahl (split red lentils)
2 cups rice
1 medium onion, sliced
4 Tablespoons oil
1 Tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon nigella seed (kalonji) or onion seed
4 curry leaves (dried is fine)
1 teaspoon turmeric
4 cups water or broth
2 Tablespoons fresh green coriander (cilantro) or parsley, chopped
What you do:
1. Rinse the lentils and rice and place in a bowl with water to cover while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
2. Saute the onions in the oil until they start to brown.
3. Toss in mustard seed, kalonji, curry leaves, and the ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute or so.
4. Drain the lentils and rice, and toss into the pot; mix well.
5. Add the turmeric and salt. Fry for another minute, then add the broth and cilantro.
6. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
7. Turn off the heat and let stand another 10 minutes before serving.