Simple Mild Salsa
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 sweet onion, diced
1 Anaheim pepper, diced
1 poblano pepper (or jalapeño), diced
1-2 teaspoons sea salt
6 tomatillos, chopped in 1" chunks
3 roma tomatoes, chopped in 1" chunks
course black pepper, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and peppers to the saucepan. Stir occasionally until onions begin to turn translucent.
2. Add the salt and allow to sauté. Add the tomatillos and tomatoes to a food processor or use a hand blender to blend until mostly liquid with very few chunks.
3. Stir the onions and peppers and add black pepper. Pour the blended tomatillos and tomatoes into the pan and stir. Bring the salsa to a boil, then lower to a simmer.
4. Cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste for seasoning. Allow to simmer uncovered until most of the liquid is reduced.
5. Continue to stir occasionally until salsa reaches a thicker consistency (there should be some liquid left). Remove from heat and allow to cool before refrigerating or serving.
This salsa has a sweet, fresh taste with a mild spice.
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe.