Simplest Healthiest Bean and Vegetable Soup
1 (16-ounce) bag raw Great Northern beans (or whichever beans you prefer)
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 stalks of celery, sliced
garlic, to taste, minced - the more the merrier
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes (I use Hunt's)
2 cups vegetable broth (I use low-sodium)
2 cups water
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen spinach
1 (10-ounce) package mixed frozen vegetables (I use the steam-in-bag kind)
preferred seasonings, to taste (I use cumin, chili powder, black pepper, and crushed red pepper)
I personally never soak my beans the night beforehand, instead I cook them the same time I'll be using them. It takes about an hour, giving me time to prepare and cook the rest of the soup mixture, as well as wash the dishes I use along the way.
1. Simmer beans in large pot until soft. Do not strain the bean water.
2. Heat cooking spray in a large pot. Add onion, celery, and garlic; saute for 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, and water; simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Defrost frozen spinach in microwave for upwards of 10 minutes. Wring out excess liquid in towel and add to soup mixture. Microwave frozen vegetables and add to soup mixture.
4. Add whichever seasonings you prefer.
5. Add the beans along with some of the bean water to the soup mixture and stir. Simmer 5 more minutes and you're done!
Source of recipe: This recipe is greatly modified from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegan-Black-Bean-Soup/Detail.aspx