1-1/2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups dried fruit of choice, chopped
1 cup nuts of choice, chopped
2 cups baking flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, combine water, sugar, shortening, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Blend until smooth. Add dried fruit and nuts and blend again.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. DO NOT mix with other ingredients.
4. Pour water-sugar mixture into cake pan. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove and stir in flour mixture.
5. Bake for 20 to 30 more minutes. Periodically poke the center of the cake with a clean, thin instrument. If the instrument is clean, then you're in business!
Source of recipe: Who knew grandma's eggless, butterless, milkless cake is A.K.A. Vegan!