Spicy Eggplant Stir-fry Sandwiches
-2 large eggplants
-1 small head of broccoli
-1 large portobello mushroom
-1 large carrot
-2 roma tomatoes
-1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
-1 - 15 oz. can red kidney beans, not drained
-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
-1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
-1 tablespoon soy sauce
-1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
-1 vegan chicken flavored bouillon cube
-1/4 cup sugar
-2 tablespoons brown flax seeds
-2 teaspoons onion powder
-1 teaspoons garlic powder
-1 1/2 teaspoons black ground pepper
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-2 teaspoons Sriracha, or similar hotsauce
-8 pieces whole wheat toast
1. Skin and chop eggplant and broccoli into bite-size pieces. Chop tomatoes, mushrooms and carrots into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
2. Place eggplant and broccoli in a large pan with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and fry on high for 5 minutes.
3. Add carrots, tomatoes, nuts, and mushrooms, and fry for 5 additional minutes. Add more oil if needed.
4. Turn heat to medium and add the can of kidney beans. Add vegetable broth, soysauce, balsamic vinegar, bouillion cube, and sugar. Stir thoroughly.
5. Fry on medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has boiled away.
6. Add remaining ingredients, besides pieces of toast, and stir thoroughly. Fry for 2 more minutes, then serve.
Serve hot on pieces of toast as open or closed-faced sandwiches.