Spicy Tomato-Avocado Chia
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, julienned
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 fresh avocado, sliced
1/4 cup fresh tomato, diced
cracked black pepper or garlic pepper, to taste
1. Combine chia seeds and water in a bowl and stir well. Add the sundried tomatoes and cayenne.
2. Stir to combine, and let soak 5-10 minutes to let the chia and tomatoes hydrate well. Stir the mixture again slowly to make sure all the flavors have combined.
3. The chia seeds should have soaked up the water and thickened to the consistency of a thick gel. If it's still watery, let it sit for another few minutes, and if seems too thick, stir in a bit more water.
4. Lay the avocado strips across the top of the chia and tomatoes. Add the tomato with a dash pepper to bring out the flavors.
5. If you like your veggies spicy, add some more cayenne on top for an extra kick. Let sit for another minute to absorb flavors, and enjoy!
This is a delicious recipe I like to make over and over. It doesn't take long to prepare, and it's packed with nutrient dense foods. It is colorful and will give you a great boost of energy! If you'd like it as a heartier meal or to share with a friend, simply double each ingredient.
Source of recipe: Came up with this one day just playing around in the kitchen with what I happened to have on hand. However, I credit Ani Phyo's excellent book, Ani's Raw Food Essentials, with inspiring me to start using chia seeds in the first place.