Stress-Buster Breakfast Bars
4 cups old fashioned oats
1 ¼ cups walnuts
1 ¼ cups raw almonds
½ cup flax seeds, ground into flaxseed meal (use coffee/spice mill )
2 ripe bananas, mashed well
1 23-ounce jar unsweetened apple sauce
½ cup rapadura, sucanat, or any raw sugar (optional…they taste pretty good without it)
Almond or any non-dairy milk (if needed)
1 cup chopped dried fruit such as cranberries, apricots, whatever…(I used ½ cranberries & ½ apricots)
8oz pitted or chopped dates
1. In a large bowl, place 2 cups of the whole oats
2. Grind the other 2 cups oats, walnuts and almonds in a food processor and add all to bowl of whole oats.
3. Grind flax seeds in a spice/coffee mill and add to bowl. Add sugar (if using) and stir all to combine.
4. Add mashed bananas and apple sauce to dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Mixture should be just wet enough that it can be pressed (not poured) into a 9x13 baking dish without too much effort. If you feel you need to add any moisture, add just a little non-dairy milk.
5. Stir in chopped dried fruit using hands if it's easier.
6 Puree dates in food processor gradually adding small amounts of water until spreadable.
7. Heat oven to 350. Press half the dough into a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish, evenly spread date mixture on top of first layer, then press in the other half of the bar dough as your third layer. Bake for around 30 to 40 minutes or until done. Should be slightly browned on the edges. Remove from oven and cut into 30 bars . If while cutting, they don’t seem quite cooked through you can put them back into the oven for a few minutes after they’ve been cut. (A little moisture left in the bottom layer is actually a good thing)
8. Allow to cool and eat!
9. If freezing, wrap bars individually in plastic wrap and freeze in a plastic freezer bag. Defrost in microwave for one minute or allow to thaw naturally either at room temp or overnight in frig.