Stuffed Red Peppers with Rice, Escarole, and Fresh Basil
olive oil, as needed
3/4 cup extra firm regular tofu, cut into chunks
1/4 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
pinch dried marjoram
2 cups escarole, chopped
2 cups cooked rice
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons fresh basil
2 red peppers, halved into boats and seeded with the insides removed
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a 2 quart sauce pan or a large deep skillet, heat a bit of olive oil over medium heat. Add the tofu and mushrooms, thoroughly coat them with the oil, then add the marjoram, oregano, and cilantro.
2. Cook until the tofu is browned, then add the escarole. Cover and cook, stirring frequently, until the leaves are wilted and soft. Add the rice and mix thoroughly.
3. While you're cooking the above, boil some water in a small pot and add the tomatoes. Cook until the skin splits, then remove them with a slotted spoon and let them cool until you're done with the rice mixture.
4. Remove the skins and put them in a blender with the fresh basil and garlic. Blend until smooth. Add to the rice mixture and stir. Place the pepper halves in a metal or glass baking dish, and fill them with the rice mixture. (Any leftover rice can be eaten the next day, it's great without the peppers too.)
5. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the peppers are cooked but not mushy. Enjoy!