Super Stuffed Peppers
4 medium red bell peppers
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium zucchini, small dice
2 cloves garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2-3/4 cup salsa
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
2/3 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP) chunks
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, plus more to sprinkle on top, optional
vegan cheddar cheese, optional (I use Daiya)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut peppers in half, and place cut side up in a lightly oiled baking dish.
2. For filling, saute the onion in the olive oil, on medium/high heat, until slightly caramelized. Add zucchini and cook until soft. Add garlic (fresh or powdered), cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper, and cook for about 1 minute.
3. Add salsa, TVP and black beans. Turn heat to low, cover, and cook until TVP is reconstituted (you may need to add a bit more salsa or water if the mixture seems too dry).
4. Add the brown rice, and taste for seasoning (I almost always add more). Cover, and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add nutritional yeast.
5. Stuff peppers with filling mixture, and sprinkle with additional nutritional yeast, if desired (some vegan cheese would probably also be delicious!). Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes, then cover with tin foil. Cook for an additional 1 hour or so, until peppers are soft.
Source of recipe: I came up with this after buying a bundle of red bell peppers from the farmers market.