Sweet and Spicy Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash
2 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
1 cup red quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 2/3 cups water
2 tablespoons coconut oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 large apple, diced
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese shreds (I use Daiya)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place the squash halves, cut-side up, into a small baking dish, and bake for about 35-40 minutes. You want the squash tender, but not too soft.
2. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 20-25 minutes. While the quinoa is simmering, heat coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
3. Stir in the garlic and onion, and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper, jalapeno pepper and celery. Saute the veggies for about 10 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the apple, and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes more.
4. Add the ginger, vinegar, agave nectar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Stir in the quinoa. When the squash is cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
5. Carefully scoop out the acorn squash from the skin, slice, and add to the stir-fry mixture. Spoon the mixture back into the squash skins, and sprinkle with vegan cheese. Return to the oven, and bake until the cheese has melted, about 5-10 additional minutes.
I only used 1 jalapeno pepper and it was pretty mild. Next time I will probably add another jalapeno pepper.
Please visit my blog: www.runningonveg.blogspot.com. Thanks!
Source of recipe: I found this recipe from all recipes http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Gingery-Quinoa-Stuffed-Acorn-Squash/Detail.... made it vegan, and changed a few ingredients.