Sweet Garlic Kale Stir Fry
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, diced
2 vegan breakfast patty sausages (about 2 ounces) (I use Gimme Lean Breakfast sausage)
2 stalks Lacinato kale, leaves and stems separated
1 cup broccoli
1 cup green beans
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons strawberry pecan jam (or jam of your choice)
squirt lemon juice
sliced raw almonds, to garnish
1. Add garlic and onion to a hot pan with olive oil over medium heat to start softening and pulling flavor out. Once the onions start to develop a slight translucency, tear the sausage into small bite size lumps and add to the pan to begin browning. (If you are using frozen vegetables like I did, add them before the sausage.)
2. Add broccoli, green beans, and kale stems (not leaves, just stems) just as the first pieces of sausage start to brown. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir a few times to coat.
3. When vegetables have softened a bit, add jam. I recommend using a berry jam and not anything citrus. It will bring a good contrast to the sharp garlic and onion flavor of the meal and cut the bitterness of the kale.
4. Once coated with the jam, add the kale leaves that you tore from the stems earlier. Let these cook down until soft and tender. Stirring often is important to help coat the kale with the jam. Add lemon juice.
5. When the kale has cooked down and become tender, stir one last time and serve on your favorite plate. If you like, garnish with some sliced raw almonds.
Ok. This is an odd one, but trust me, it tasted great. I had this dish with microwave bread which I made using the recipe from this site. The jam worked wonderfully with it because the bread tastes like a breakfast biscuit. I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did. It was weird but very tasty.
Source of recipe: I just decided to throw some things I had together in an experiment of epic proportions and it turned out famously.