Tempeh Salad Sandwich
8 oz. (1 package) tempeh -- I recommend quinoa-sesame
1 small carrot, grated
2 ribs celery, diced
I small red onion, diced
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 - 1 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoons vegetarian chicken-flavored stock powder, or other vegetable stock powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
1/4 cup vegan mayo (I recommend Nayonnaise -- regular, not fat free)
black pepper to taste
1. Cube tempeh and steam for 15 minutes.
2. Chop/Grate/Slice vegetables while the tempeh is cooking.
3. When tempeh is done, allow to cool slightly. Mash tempeh with a fork. Mix in the carrots, celery, and onions, and stir well.
4. Sprinkle with lemon juice, curry powder, stock powder, and celery seed (if using). Mix well. Add vegan mayo, beginning with a couple tablespoons, and adding more if needed.
5. Season with black pepper. Serve in pita or any other bread. (I like to use pita because the tempeh salad doesn't fall out!)
5. You could be really gourmet and serve this as an hors doeuvre in the following manner: Cut the tops off a bunch of cherry tomatoes and scoop out the insides. (Works best if you use a special device called a tomato corer, available at restaurant supply stores for about $1.50.) Place a sheet of waxed paper on a cookie sheet or other flat surface, and place the cherry tomatoes on top, cut side down, to drain. Store in fridge, uncovered, for an hour. Stuff the cute little tomatoes with the tempeh mixture and refrigerate for another hour. It looks really pretty to mix some chopped parsley in with the tempeh salad.