1 cup soy sauce or tamari
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable stock
1 teaspoon mirin Tofu:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 (14 ounce) package firm tofu, pressed and sliced 1/2"
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce (recipe above)
2 cups cooked rice
1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon nori, ripped apart or cut into fine strips
1. For teriyaki sauce, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, vegetable stock, and mirin and bring to a boil in small sauce pan.
2. Simmer for 5 minutes. Be careful not to let the sauce boil over. Refrigerate for up to 2 months. For tofu, bring oil in frying pan to hot heat. Put the flour on a plate and dredge each side of the tofu completely in it.
3. Add the tofu to the frying pan and fry each side to a golden brown color. In a new frying pan, put the tofu in there and add the teriyaki sauce.
4. Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce and let simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Turn tofu over periodically in order to coat each side.
5. Remove from pan and serve on top of hot rice. Top with sesame seeds, scallions, and nori.
Source of recipe: This recipe was inspired by the chicken teriyaki recipe from "Japanese Home Cooking" by Shunsuke Fukushima. For more information, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/07/teriyaki-tofu.html