Tofu and "Cheese" Quesadillas
1 pack extra firm tofu (best if frozen first and then dethawed before cooking), cubed
1/2 white or yellow onion, halved then vertically sliced
garlic powder, to taste
sea salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
cumin, to taste
thinly sliced scallions, to taste
chopped cilantro, to taste
1/2 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
1 cup nutritional yeast
hot sauce, to taste
tortillas (Rudy's Organic Spelt Tortillas are my favorite)
garnish: vegan sour cream, pico de gallo, and guacamole (optional)
1. Arrange tofu in a dish. Add onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and lightly sprinkle each cube with cumin. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. In a pan, saute the tofu until its nice and cooked, then turn the heat to low. Add scallions and cilantro. (I use a pan that has grill divets, so I get the grill effect on the tofu. A regular saute pan will work as well.)
3. For the cheese sauce, use a small saucepan. Pour coconut milk into the pan and turn on the heat to medium or so. Add 1/2 cup nutritional yeast. Keep adding more until the cheese sauce tastes more like nutritional yeast than coconut milk. Season up the queso...add desired amount of hot sauce and a little bit of cumin. Stir it until its all well combined and hot. Remove from heat and let it thicken up some.
4. Coat another pan with olive oil, enough to brown your quesadillas on each side. I also do this part on the grill pan if you have one. warm up the olive oil a little bit, and lay your first tortilla down in the pan, lay the tofu mixture out evenly on the tortilla, drizzle with cheese sauce (don't use too much!) and lay the second tortilla on top. Use a big spatula to flip it and do it with balance and ease or else all your fillings will fly out. If you dont have a big spatula, try halving your tortillas. Quesadilla should be golden brown on each side.
5. Garnish: if desired, top with vegan sour cream, pico de gallo, and guacamole. Enjoy!
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe.