Tofu and Veggie Pasta
1 box spaghetti
1 jar pasta sauce, or homemade
1 zucchini, peeled and diced
1-2 squashes, peeled and diced
1 block extra-firm tofu, pressed and diced
2 cups peas, frozen, canned, or fresh
2 cloves garlic, sliced
6-10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1. Heat oil on low in large skillet. If you do not have a large skillet, cook sauce and vegetables separately.
2. Add tofu, peas, zucchini, squash, garlic, basil, salt, pepper, and a very light sprinkle of nutmeg (about 1/4 teaspoon) If using fresh peas cook peas in boiling water first until at least 1/2 way done.
3. Cook uncovered over medium-medium high heat for 10-15 minutes, until all vegetables are soft and cooked. Add liquid if needed.
4. In the meantime, cook pasta in a large pot according to box directions.
5. When all vegetables are cooked, add pasta sauce (this is where, if you do not have a large skillet, you would heat the sauce alone).
6. When pasta is cooked, drain and return to pot. Add vegetables and sauce. Mix well.
7. Serve and enjoy! I like to top with vegan parmesan cheese.