1 package Firm tofu -- approx 150 g
5 cloves garlic chopped
2 large onions, sliced (use the purple variety)
10 dried red chillies -- cut into 1 inch bits and soak in hot water for 1/2 hour (de-seed them if you can't take the heat)
2 cloves garlic
1 stalk lemon grass (optional)
1. Blend ingredients for sambal. This can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge for up to a week.
2. Cut tofu into bite-sized pieces and either fry them in oil or toast them in a toaster oven till lightly brown
3. Pour oil in a pan.
4. Fry the onion and garlic for 1 minute
5. Pour in the blended sambal (blended chilli paste). Continue to fry for15 minutes -- this usually takes copious amounts of additional oil. I get round this by adding a cup of warm water and by the time this mixture boils and it returns to the original amount of sambal, the paste is cooked.
6. Add the tofu and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Garnish with cilantro.
This is delicious served with hot rice and a salad.
Variations of this dish can be made by replacing the tofu with potato, eggplant, chickpeas, tempeh etc